[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Manuel Kasper" <mk at neon1 dot net>
 To:  <lscrlstld at yahoo dot com dot br>
 Cc:  <list at m0n0wall dot neon1 dot net>
 Subject:  FreeBSD bridging with wi (was: Re: [m0n0wall] Hi!)
 Date:  Wed, 26 Feb 2003 08:16:20 +0100 (CET)
> Can I help you about wireless ?
> I am use a FreeBSB box as a Hostap, but I use PC-ATX motherboards

Yes - what do people use for bridging under FreeBSD with hostap? The
FreeBSD bridging code (options BRIDGE) or the netgraph bridge? With
BRIDGE, I'm seeing the following oddity:

suppose there are two interfaces,

sis0: 192.168.0.230
wi0: no IP address assigned, hostap

used with the following sysctls:

net.link.ether.bridge="1"
net.link.ether.bridge_cfg="wi0 sis0"
net.inet.ip.forwarding="1"

Wireless clients can associate to the hostap access point and ping hosts
on sis0 through the bridge without any problems at all. However, they
cannot ping 192.168.0.230 - the box does not even respond to ARP queries
on wi0. Of course, hosts on sis0 can ping 192.168.0.230 OK.

ipfilter and ipfw were turned off for this test, and I even tried it on my
notebook in addition to a net4511 - made no difference.

This is a little bit irritating - I have tried netgraph bridging, and with
that it works as intended - 192.168.0.230 can be pinged both from wireless
clients and from hosts on sis0. However, I'd rather use the FreeBSD kernel
bridge if possible, as that netgraph stuff is a bit cumbersome.

Does anybody know what could cause this problem and if there's a solution?

Thanks,

Manuel