[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Manuel Kasper" <mk at neon1 dot net>
 To:  <delpy at sover dot net>
 Cc:  <list at m0n0wall dot neon1 dot net>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] FreeBSD bridging with wi (was: Re: [m0n0wall] Hi!)
 Date:  Wed, 26 Feb 2003 15:19:50 +0100 (CET)
> I hope this isn't a religious thing but OpenBSD's bridging works great.
> Are there any plans to do a port of your *excellent* code to that OS? If
> I had the money, I'd pay for it! If you need a copy of OpenBSD, I'm
> willing to buy one and ship it to you.

To be honest - when I was having troubles with ipfilter due to lack of
features etc., I considered switching to OpenBSD (just to get pf) or
NetBSD more than once. And each time I dismissed the idea because after a
closer look at things, it seemed to be foolish to throw away most of what
I had done so far (as major parts of the configuration stuff would have to
be rewritten) just because of some small problem (who says I won't
experience any problems with other BSDs?). Then there was also something
else that bugged me: performance. Sorry, but I still believe that OpenBSD
is quite a bit slower than FreeBSD when it comes to things like forwarding
packets (and in some comparison tests I ran on other hardware, it actually
was, with NetBSD being somewhere in between). This may or may not be true
for the things others do with their boxes, but I still believe it. ;) pf
is most likely faster than ipfilter, but this does not remedy the
shortcoming. Also, I kinda like the way dummynet works in FreeBSD - ALTQ
didn't convince me.

So far, I've played with all of the three major BSDs - I can't say I've
been disappointed with any of them, but for some reason I just got stuck
with FreeBSD, and that's what I'm using on all of my non-Windows servers.

So... m0n0wall will probably stay with FreeBSD, also because of the effort
that has gone into stripping it down to < 4 MB (see miniBSD). That is -
unless somebody else is willing to port it. ;)

Greets,

Manuel