[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Manuel Kasper" <mk at neon1 dot net>
 To:  "Iedema, Michael" <iedemam at pluto dot dsu dot edu>
 Cc:  list at m0n0wall dot neon1 dot net
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] MiniBSD binary (was: LAN - DMZ - WAN Firewall rules
 Date:  Tue, 22 Apr 2003 19:40:59 +0200 (CEST)
> I would put forth a vote of YEA on the miniBSD binary.  It would allow us
> get ahold of the "dough" of monowall, and users could form it into exactly
> what they wish.

OK, let the baking begin! ;) Seriously, I'm now convinced that providing a
readymade image is a Good Idea [tm] - better than stuffing m0n0wall with
things I don't really like to see in it (like SSH) for fear that users
would have to work against the system rather than with it when
customizing. Besides, being able to work with a more or less standard
FreeBSD system (albeit stripped of unnecessary frills, but not as
minimalistic as m0n0wall) means even less BSD-experienced people can take
a stab at it, since there's excellent documentation (like the FreeBSD
handbook). I'd try to make it fit on a 16 MB CF card. More ideas floating
through my head... what about an automated image builder web site where
you can check all the things you want (like MPD, DHCPD, etc.) and get a
custom image? Wait, that would be too much of a luxury. ;)

I've already found a name for it, too... "miniBSD" =~ s/i/0/g; -> m0n0BSD!
That's it - I'll definitely take a look at it soon.

- Manuel