[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Manuel Kasper" <mk at neon1 dot net>
 To:  "Fred Wright" <fw at well dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] New URLs
 Date:  Mon, 12 May 2003 16:43:27 +0200 (CEST)
> So if the impending move of the lists was the reason not to bother setting
> up the "Reply-To:", that's no longer an issue. :-) Right now it's
> necessary to edit the address manually when replying to a post.

Yes, and that will stay this way because I read this:
http://www.ezmlm.org/faq-0.40/FAQ-9.html#ss9.8
and found that they're right - I can live with the fact that people have
to think twice before posting anything to the list. :) Besides, other
lists behave in the same way, too (including soekris-tech and
freebsd-small), and every better MUA has got a "Reply All" function, so
that issue is settled as far as I'm concerned.

> But the #1 reason for wanting shell access is diagnostics.  Any router
> worth its salt should offer the "big three" of network debugging - ping,
> traceroute, and tcpdump.  Although m0n0wall currently has a limited ping
> capability, web-based ping is inferior for at least two reasons:

OK, you've got a point there. But all those commercial boxes don't throw
you in a shell prompt without any help and with most of the common UNIX
commands missing. If someone (possibly me if I found the time ;) were to
write a more or less user-friendly console frontend to those diagnostics
functions with a simple menu like the serial console menu, I'd agree to
having console access. Or the existing console menu could simply be
extended to include those functions and then made available to the network
with Telnet and/or SSH, so you'd even get things like "Reboot system".
Should be reasonably simple to add a few items to the existing (shell)
script...

Wishlist updated. :)

Greets,

Manuel