[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 To:  Michael Iedema <iedemam at pluto dot dsu dot edu>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Some throughput testing
 Date:  Fri, 6 Jun 2003 23:09:58 +0200 (CEST)
Hey Michael,

On Fri, 6 Jun 2003, Michael Iedema wrote:

> Conditions			Throughput
>
> Standard w/o WEP		4.65
> Standard w/WEP		3.99

I thought I'd add that I was able to obtain significantly higher
throughput with a PCI wireless card (D-Link DWL-520) in a net4501 instead
(non-WEP throughput of about 6.4 Mbps). If memory serves me right, my PC
card measurements were consistent with yours. Seems like the overhead of
moving the data over the PC card bridge is quite high.

Interestingly, using hardware WEP in hostap mode doesn't make things
faster (at least not with a PCMCIA wireless card). I hacked if_wi.c to
make it use hardware WEP even in hostap (by default it will always do
software WEP as some cards seem to be broken in hostap mode) - the speed
gain was marginal (on the order of 0.1-0.2 Mbps), although it did work
(with a Senao 200 mW card). The bottleneck is probably somewhere else...

- Manuel