[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 To:  Michael Iedema <iedemam at pluto dot dsu dot edu>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Some throughput testing
 Date:  Fri, 6 Jun 2003 23:31:46 +0200 (CEST)
On Fri, 6 Jun 2003, Michael Iedema wrote:

> I'm guessing the speed increase would be due to the extra 33mhz you
> possibly have.  I've always wondered if their effect would be linear,
> and they seem close to that.

Right - I forgot to mention that while the PCI card produced about 60% CPU
load (at full speed), the PCMCIA card in the net4511 loaded it to 100% (as
indicated by top, which became almost unusable while transferring data at
full speed).

I'd like to know what you can get out of a net4521, too... So far I have
the impression that transferring data from/to a wireless card is very
expensive (CPU-wise) in any case - a net4501 can pump up to 60 Mbps
between two of its NICs (with fast routing and polling enabled, though -
without these it's still > 40 Mbps). Looks as if wireless cards would
still use PIO. ;)

Also, I wonder how other BSDs or Linux compare. At least in Ethernet
performance, FreeBSD seems to be superior to NetBSD and OpenBSD on net45xx
(I posted some benchmarks to the soekris-tech list a while ago),
performing as good as Linux.

- Manuel