[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Michael Iedema" <iedemam at pluto dot dsu dot edu>
 To:  "'Manuel Kasper'" <mk at neon1 dot net>
 Cc:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Some *more* throughput testing
 Date:  Sun, 8 Jun 2003 15:23:23 -0500
Hey all,
Just finished up my IPSEC testing.

The Setup:

A vaio laptop is connected via cat5 to a m0n0wall box (4511 w/HIFN)
A pIII server is connected via cat5 to a m0n0wall box (4511 w/HIFN)
The m0n0wall boxes are connected to each other via wireless ad-hoc WAN.

40bit WEP was used.
3DES & MD5 encryption and hash used for the tunnel.

The Throughput:
						mbits
IPSEC w/o WEP 768bit Aggressive	2.45
IPSEC w/o WEP 1024bit Aggressive	2.41
IPSEC w/o WEP 1536bit Aggressive	2.43
IPSEC w/o WEP 768bit Main		2.44
IPSEC w/o WEP 1024bit Main		2.43
IPSEC w/o WEP 1536bit Main		2.45
IPSEC w/WEP 768bit Aggressive		2.43
IPSEC w/WEP 1024bit Aggressive	2.39
IPSEC w/WEP 1536bit Aggressive	2.41
IPSEC w/WEP 768bit Main			2.44
IPSEC w/WEP 1024bit Main		2.42
IPSEC w/WEP 1536bit Main		2.42

I believe it is safe to say that the HIFN card is being used, and that
the speed limitation lies in the wired/wireless conversion.  It would be
interesting to see throughput from a pure wireless client.

If anyone has a 4521 and would be willing to run these same tests that
would be very interesting information.

--Michael