I promised myself I'd put the following into email while its still fresh, so
here goes... Hopefully others perusing the archives in the future will find
Goal: get my Soekris 4521 running a distro together with a Senoa card that
connects my DSL connection to my house LAN and neighborhood WLAN (wireless
Approx steps and gotchas along the way:
My previous config had a DSL modem into a Sonicwall into a hub. My LAN
ran from the hub along with an Orinoco RG-1100 in bridging mode. The
Sonicwall did DHCP and NAT for everyone and provided basic logs and
management for me. Here's how I transitioned (leaving out some of the blind
alleys, except to warn about them).
First - router setup
My first goal was to get the Soekris going as a router, leaving the
bridged Orinoco running as-is. I have a single static IP from my ISP and NAT
my lan to the 10.0.0.x subnet and the Sonicwall at 10.0.0.1 as the gateway.
Accordingly I did NOT install the Senao wireless card at this point.
I flashed the CF, booted and puzzled a little while over the console. Then I
chose option 2 to reassign the LAN address. I chose 10.0.0.190 which was
unused on my LAN. Plugged the Eth0 (right hand) Soekris port into my LAN.
After restart I could then use my web browser to do the rest and ignore the
rest of the console options (for now). So far, very sweet!
Under System - General Setup I entered my DNS info.
Then I went to the LAN interface and changed it to 10.0.0.1 with a bit
length of 24. Note that I puzzed over the bitlength for a while, being much
more used to specifying a subnet like: 255.255.255.0. I did NOT reboot at
this point (the warning message is a nice touch, thanks!)
Then I went to the WAN, chose static, entered my IP and again chose 24 bit.
Added the gateway (from my ISP). WARNING: the default value of 31 led me
astray for a good 20 mins here. Several reboots and test ping errors from
the Diagnostics menu of 'sendto: cannot reach host' (or similar?) later I
finally realized that trying to reach an external gateway of x.x.x.1 wasn't
going to work from x.x.x.226 with a bit length of 31. Switching to 24 fixed
everything nicely. Phew! Left the 'block private networks' option checked.
I turned on DNS forwarder just for kicks (though I puzzled a while over
whether this was a DNS cache or not and finally decided it was).
Also turned on DHCP. Here I was sad to find that I couldn't assign static
IPs via DHCP based on MAC addresses, but, hey, what do you want for nothing!
(I have good intentions of making that my first contribution to m0n0wall...
and the world is paved with good intentions right?).
Rebooted and connected the Soekris ETH1 to the DSL modem. Disconnected the
Sonicwall from the hub (so its 10.0.0.1 address didn't conflict)
Lots of nice flashing lights. Hurray! Quick check of the wet-11s showed they
still had connectivity (problemmatic devices, but handy in this case).
In short, except for the detour with the WAN address length, very
Oh, another gotcha. I tried an older distro and was briefly confused because
refreshing my browser didn't update the release date. Closing/opening all IE
windows fixed that. Trap for beginners - haven't been caught by that in a
Second - Wireless LAN setup
Adding the wireless lan to the mix was, in hindsight, quite easy.
1) Plug the wireless card in
3) at the console choose option (1) and set OPT1 to wi0
Step (3) is vital. By default the wi0 will NOT be assigned to OPT1 and
you'll look a long time in the webGUI and not find it!
4) reboot again and go into the GUI. Now there's a new menu option under
5) Enable the Option 1 interface (yep, missed that the first time round, and
6) I set the description to "WLAN".
7) Bridge with "LAN". (Not sure why you want to bridge with WAN - just if
you want a plain bridge I guess - but by trial and error I worked out I
didn't want to!). Left IP blank.
8) Set mode to "hostap", set the SSID (in my case to the same one the
Orinoco had been using)
Clicked Save, rebooted. Done.
Well, almost done. I first had to figure out I'd used the AUX antenna
connector instead of the main for my omni and unplug my Orinoco as it was
now interfering. But then the Status Wireless started showing interesting
things, as did Status Interfaces.
That's it (I think...). I hope this helps someone else! Thanks SO much to
the folks who have made this possible. It really is a stellar system in so
many ways (e.g., being able to get an XML config file is awesome - as is the
ability to ftp a new image). Very nice!