[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Michael Mee" <mm2001 at pobox dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  m0n0wall php dev environment tips?
 Date:  Fri, 13 Jun 2003 12:05:44 -0700
I'd like to add some php features to m0n0wall (more stats, static DHCP
assignments) and am wondering about the simplest php dev environment.

Ideally I'd like to use a freeBSD machine and simply run the php pages on
the machine and have it mess with the config files etc., but without messing
up the main machine. It *seems* like a good use for chroot, but I honestly
don't know enough about it to know if I'm on the right track. I'm happy to
track down the details but a quick 'yes its straight-forward' or 'it might
work, but will be tricky, how about XXX instead' could save me a lot of
time.

Any/all advice appreciated. I'll reciprocate with the steps I take to get it
working. (I.e., a 'hacking m0n0wall lite' version).

Fwiw, I have read http://m0n0.ch/wall/hack/ and it was very useful, but
since I'm only interested in making php changes and additions (at this
stage), I'd like to save some steps and time in the code-build-test cycle
and only build an image occaisionally when I've got new php debugged.  (I'm
also limited by only having one Soekris box which is in constant use, so I
want to keep its reboots to a minimum - currently I ftp files to the box and
then use http://<myn0n0wall>/exec.php to copy them to the right place when I
have something I want to try.)

cheers, michael