[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Michael Mee" <mm2001 at pobox dot com>
 To:  "\"Joe Doran\"" <joe at jbdww dot com>
 Cc:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: MAC Address.
 Date:  Sun, 15 Jun 2003 22:22:51 -0700
> Is there any way to create rules or do traffic shaping based off
> a specific MAC address?

With the recent pb12r418 release you could do this as follows:

+ click DHCP in the GUI
+ enter the MAC address you wish to shape/filter and a fixed IP (note that
the IP chosen must be _outside_ the range you assign dynamically)
+ Apply the (DHCP) changes
+ go into the rules and traffic shaper and use the IP you specified to setup
rules and bandwidth limits
+ Apply the rules/traffic shaping

Of course caveats remain (e.g. if the specific MAC address machine doesn't
renew its IP via DHCP), but this is working well on my neighborhood LAN
(throttling Kazaa seems to work better than trying to block it).  I'd
actually hacked my dhcp.conf file prior to this release to do this, so I've
had a whole couple of days of real experience with it so far :-).

cheers, michael

PS: having an XML config file is SO nice. Some touchup work with vi on my
custom dhcp.conf file and a quick copy-paste to the config.xml file, reboot,
and up and running with 20+ static DHCP assignments. Thanks Manuel!