[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 To:  Fred Wright <fw at well dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Re: time client/server proposal - comments please
 Date:  Tue, 17 Jun 2003 11:53:00 +0200 (CEST)
On Tue, 17 Jun 2003, Fred Wright wrote:

> No, you don't want to rely on the XML file for that, since it's desirable
> (and even absolutely necessary in certain circumstances) to have the
> timezone set up as early as possible in the boot sequence.  The proper way
> to do this is to keep a /conf/localtime that gets copied to /etc as soon
> as /cf is mounted.

Oh come on, if we do it before any other daemons are started (i.e. early
in rc.bootup), I don't see where that would leave us with major problems
(does anybody care about the timestamp of e.g. the /var/run directory?).
Sure, adjkerntz is invoked in /etc/rc, but that could be moved to
rc.bootup (after the /etc/localtime setup) as well. Is there anything else
in m0n0wall's /etc/rc that could interfere with (later) timezone setup? I
really like the idea of having config.xml as the only variable in m0n0wall
- great for backup/restore, too...

> I already worked this out and sent the (trivial) changes to Manuel, but
> they haven't made it into the releases.  The part to *set* the timezone

I put that on hold because I thought we'd better wait until we have webGUI
support for it, so it will all make sense.

> I don't think including a default server is a good idea.  The admin might
> get annoyed if everyone on the planet started using that one particular
> server because nobody bothered to change the setting. :-) Not to mention

Alright. I think it'd be better to disable the NTP server by default and
have the user explicitly enable it (and specify a server) when he/she
needs it. Not running any unnecessary services is always a good idea on a
firewall...

- Manuel