[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 To:  Michael Mee <mm2001 at pobox dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Re: time client/server proposal - comments please
 Date:  Tue, 17 Jun 2003 17:53:11 +0200 (CEST)
On Tue, 17 Jun 2003, Michael Mee wrote:

> Stupid question: does the entire mfs root filesystem get copied into a
> ramdisk on boot, or does it run off flash?  Put another way, where would I
> put the timezone tar file so that it only sits on CF and not in memory where
> its unused except for timezone config!

The MFS root file system is built from mfsroot.gz (which lives on the UFS
formatted CF card). But please don't worry; just store the timezone tgz
file in the MFS along with all the other programs (e.g. in
/usr/share/zoneinfo.tgz); we can well afford the 70 KBs of RAM it takes
up. While I'm not 100% sure about this, I assume that the mfsroot (when
loaded by /boot/loader) will always take up the full 10 MBs of space in
RAM (that's the size of the uncompressed file system), regardless of how
many files there are in it. We still have enough space left in there
(about 1 MB, though we can't use it all because 544 KBs of space have to
be left for the logs, and some for filesystem overhead), so adding the
zoneinfo.tgz to the MFS would not increase memory requirements (compared
to the current m0n0wall version).

Storing the file directly on the CF card would give problems with the
CD-ROM version (the CD-ROM is never mounted during normal operation, only
the floppy disk, and for the sake of simplicity I want config.xml to be
the only file on that disk).

- Manuel