[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Michael Mee" <mm2001 at pobox dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Re: time client/server proposal - comments please
 Date:  Tue, 17 Jun 2003 21:55:18 -0700
FYI, I've sent V1 to Manuel. If someone wants a private image or diffs
before then, shoot me an email.

Final v1 implementation was (** shows changes from previous email):

v1 - setting/updating the clock and adding timezone support
+ dropdown(s) in system.php to allow selection of region/city
+ use a tar.gz file as a source to create /etc/localtime file as soon as is
practical on boot **> before any network setup in rc.bootup
+ config.xml additions under <system> are (with example values):
      <timezone>Etc/UTC</timezone>  // ** new default
      <time-update-interval>300</time-update-interval>    // 0 means never
run as client
      <timeservers>pool.net.org</timeservers>  // ** no hyphen
+ On fresh install run msntp in client mode to update the time every 5
hours, but user can set update interval to 0 to disable it. For a firmware
upgrade in which case it will be 0 so the user has to explicitly enable it.
** I did NOT auto-update anything in config.xml. The clock will not start on
boot UNTIL you go to system.php and press save. At that point, the displayed
default value of 300 will be used and the msntp program will immediately
reset your BIOS clock to UTC
+ include the standard msntp release in /usr/local/bin ** no patches,
standard release
+ set the default time server to pool.ntp.org (see
http://fortytwo.ch/time/), with the user option to change it on the
system.php ** fixed typo in previous mail (was net.org)
+ remove the existing /etc/wall_cmos_clock file ** also remove localtime as
we create it on startup (actually links to the single extracted file in
/usr/share/zoneinfo/xx/xx)
+ add tar to /usr/bin ** done, but I just used the standard statically
linked version. I expect Manuel will use a smaller dynamically linked &
irrelevant options removed version
+ I haven't determined if adjtime works appropriately so I'll have msntp use
settimeofday for now (obviously trivial to change later) ** yes, used the -r
option

Visually the big difference is the opening 'System -> General Setup' page.
It now has 3 more entries: Time Zone with a nice drop down of all
region/city combinations, Time Update Interval and NTP Time Server.
Clicking Save will immediately change the system time zone and [re]start
msntp. You can confirm the time zone by viewing the "Status -> System" page.
I hoped to add something to Diagnostics->Advanced to provide some msntp
debug info, but didn't get to it, sorry. In the interim you can go to
http://10.0.0.1/exec.php and use
/usr/local/bin/msntp pool.ntp.org
to confirm its working. You can use a -v, -w or -W option to get increasing
amounts of debug info.

Enjoy, michael