[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Fred Wright <fw at well dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Re: time client/server proposal - comments please
 Date:  Wed, 18 Jun 2003 00:56:41 -0700 (PDT)
On Tue, 17 Jun 2003, Manuel Kasper wrote:

> up. While I'm not 100% sure about this, I assume that the mfsroot (when
> loaded by /boot/loader) will always take up the full 10 MBs of space in
> RAM (that's the size of the uncompressed file system), regardless of how

I'm also pretty sure that's true, since it's just a disk image.

> Storing the file directly on the CF card would give problems with the
> CD-ROM version (the CD-ROM is never mounted during normal operation, only
> the floppy disk, and for the sake of simplicity I want config.xml to be
> the only file on that disk).

Indeed running directly from CD would pose some problems, both in terms of
performance and in terms of excessive dependence on mechanical activities
(though that doesn't stop KNOPPIX from doing it :-)).  But most machines
with CDs also have a lot more RAM than net45xx's.  These days, a CF card
is likely to be as big if not bigger than the unexpandable RAM in the
net45xx, so the RAM fs approach is probably not the best for those
devices.

					Fred Wright