[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Bart Smit <bit at signature dot nl>
 To:  Fred Wright <fw at well dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Re: time client/server proposal - comments please
 Date:  Wed, 18 Jun 2003 11:27:07 +0200 (CEST)
On Wed, 18 Jun 2003, Fred Wright wrote:

> Well, some of us are picky about timestamps. :-)

I always try to circumvent a lot of the adjkerntz-like issues by *always*
running the cmos clock on UTC, and not bothering too much with the local
timezone unless necessary. The general rule is:  "all times refer to UTC
unless otherwise specified". Since so many applications don't state the TZ
(or even give misleading information), this often implies the use of UTC
at the "user end" as well.

So, having the system clock on UTC is pretty much mandatory; having the UI
on local time is not always wise. Since m0n0wall is not supposed to have
lots of user interaction anyway, I would not use local time on it at all.
However, I do think it's a Good Thing to have the possibility. :-)

> [...] if someone's found a GPS clock card that actually works with the
> power available in the net4501 I'd like to hear about it. :-)

I don't know any clock *cards*, but I'm using the Rockwell Jupiter GPS
receiver unit, which can easily be interfaced to the second serial port of
the 4501.

--B