[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Michael Mee" <mm2001 at pobox dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  New clock update, img & diff available
 Date:  Wed, 18 Jun 2003 20:44:03 -0700
An update to my v1 clock add ins is available (latecomers see thread
starting here:
http://m0n0.ch/wall/list/?action=show_msg&actionargs[]=1&actionargs[]=51 )

Also see notes below about exactly what happens when you do the firmware
upgrade (3rd try to explain this!).

I just updated the image with the following trivial changes:
+ UTC is now correctly filled in as the default (instead of Africa/Algiers)
+ the default prompted time update interval is 300 instead of 0 (disable)
+ the text under the default time update interval entry field is reworded
+ fixed the console boot warning message about unlinking a non-existent file

As Manuel apparently won't be able to incorporate any changes until the
weekend (at best), I've made them available at:
http://www040.heronetwork.com/net45xx-clock.img
with today's earlier version renamed at:
http://www040.heronetwork.com/net45xx-clock0.img
in case you still need it. Note that these are Soekris images. I'm not sure
how the CD and Soekris images vary if at all, so YMMV! (Maybe someone can
explain this?)

For those who prefer to roll their own, a diff of the two mfs directories
(vs the net45xx-pb12r418 release) is available at:
http://www040.heronetwork.com/diffr418clock.txt
See the notes at the start of that file.

Finally, I still didn't explain the firmware msntp upgrade enabling
correctly...

If you use my hacked image to add msntp then the FIRST time you upload THIS
firmware, the msntp program will NOT be started. Or, if you restore the
default config.xml (or any other previously saved config.xml) msntp will NOT
be started (I also didn't update the default config.xml in the image to
contain the new entries).

It will ONLY be started after you go into the "System->General Setup" (aka
system.php) page (and provide a non-zero value for the time update interval)
and then click Save. You can confirm if its running by checking
http://yourip/cgi-bin/status.cgi and looking in the process list for msntp.

What's happening is that the config.xml file has to contain the entry
     <time-update-interval>500</time-update-interval>
with a non-zero value before it will [re]start msntp. And that won't be in
your config.xml file until you click 'Save' (or edit and upload it by hand).

Finally, please send me an email if you tried to upgrade from an image above
and let me know how it worked out for you.

cheers, michael