[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Ryan Grove <ryan at wonko dot com>
 To:  Fred Wright <fw at well dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Question: LAN->WAN->LAN
 Date:  Thu, 19 Jun 2003 10:10:29 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)
On Thu, 19 Jun 2003, Fred Wright wrote:

> The latter.  It's not possible with NAT.  The problem is that it's not
> really LAN->WAN->LAN at all, it's just LAN->router.  Traffic destined
> for the router doesn't get routed through the WAN interface in some
> sort of driver-level loopback just because you specify the WAN IP.
> Since it doesn't go through the WAN interface, it doesn't go through
> NAT processing, and gets delivered to the router itself.  And since
> the router's webserver is bound specifically to the LAN IP, there's no
> port 80 listener for the WAN IP.

Ouch. Oh well. I guess my Linksys must have handled it differently
somehow. Is it naive of me to think that it would be a fairly
straightforward matter to add code to the firewall that catches outbound
traffic destined for the WAN IP and reroutes it appropriately? Or would
this be the job of the TCP forwarder, which you mentioned in your next
paragraph?

--
Ryan Grove
ryan at wonko dot com