[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Greg Sims" <greg underscore sims at earthlink dot net>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Network Access from Dial-Up: Plan B
 Date:  Thu, 23 Oct 2003 09:39:54 -0700
Thank-you to those who helped me get a modem to PPTP connection established
into m0n0wall.  I was able to establish the connection but the performance
is such that the interface is not usable.  I need to move on to "Plan B".

My Plan B is to open a port on the firewall that passes traffic to a
specific host on the LAN interface of m0n0wall.  I thought I would start
with a Big hole in the firewall just to get started and limit the size of
the firewall hole as I gain experience.

I added the following rule to the firewall:

Interface=WAN, Protocol=any, Source=any, Source Port=n/a,
	Destination=Single Host/192.168.0.3, Destination Port=n/a, Fragment=null

My understanding is this should redirect any traffic that originates on the
WAN to host 192.168.0.3.

The WAN interface to m0n0wall is a static ip address, let's call it
123.456.789.1.

I first tested host 192.168.0.3 from the LAN side of the network with a ping
which worked.  I then shut down my LAN connection and used a modem to
connect to the internet. I issued the following command: "ping
123.456.789.1".  I believe this ping should be redirected to the 192.168.0.3
host on the LAN side of m0n0wall.  This host (192.168.0.3) should be able to
respond to the ping as there is also a firewall rule that allows the LAN to
go anywhere:

Interface=LAN, Protocol=any, Source=any, Source Port=n/a,
	Destination=any, Destination Port=n/a, Fragment=null

Unfortunately I receive a Ping timeout when I ping the WAN IP address from
the Internet via modem.

Any ideas you have getting this sorted out would be appreciated!

Greg