[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chad R. Larson" <clarson at eldocomp dot com>
 Cc:  William Bloom <wbloom at eldocomp dot com>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] PorSentry Feedback
 Date:  Thu, 23 Oct 2003 10:20:20 -0700
At 06:16 AM 10/23/2003, Christiaens Joachim wrote:
>Super! It's getting time for me to set up a dev system!

I'm setting up mine.  I've got a =very= old notebook (Toshiba T3400CT) that
wasn't doing anything else.  I installed FreeBSD 4.8-p13 on it last
night.  I'll use com1 for the console and a PCMCIA ethernet for a LAN.  The
hacker's guide (http://m0n0.ch/wall/hack/) shows how to set up a PXE boot
and an NFS mounted root, so you only have to burn a CF when you're sure
you've got it right.

Along that line, is anyone working on integrating VRRP (Virtual Router
Redundancy Protocol) RFC-2338 into m0n0wall?  If not, I think I'll give it
a go.  We'd like to use a pair of net4801s with automated failover for our
exterior firewalling.

I'll grant that with no moving parts, and a hardware watchdog to catch
runaway software, a single net4801 will probably be more than sufficient,
but we have to survive single-point-of-failure (SPOF) by our customers
sometimes.

-- CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE --