[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Rob Whyte" <rob at g dash labs dot com>
 To:  <chaunceyw at sympatico dot ca>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] ipfilter or ipfw?
 Date:  Sun, 26 Oct 2003 09:25:45 -0800
> > (I've seen that SNMP can
> > be inaccurate, plus this method may be a little easier).

You might think your method is a little easier, but I promise you it will be
no more accurate. The SNMP mib for the network interface gets the same
interface counters that you will have to use if you plan to log network
traffic. As for the easier statement I couldn't disagree more, the hard part
is done. All you have to do is run on your mrtg box:

"cfgmaker public at m0n0wall dot ip dot address --output=/etc/mrtg.cfg"
"crontab -e"
add "*/5 * * * * /usr/bin/mrtg /etc/mrtg.cfg --logging /var/log/mrtg.log" to
your crontab

and you are done..

If there's more things you would like to monitor you can add the mibs to the
SNMP on the m0n0wall. I spent a couple days getting UCD-SNMP small enough to
be included in the m0n0wall distribution, which meant removing mibs that
were deemed unnecessary. Manuel and I had multiple conversations and decided
that 99% of the folks that would use SNMP on m0n0 would only be interested
in network interface counters.

That being said if there is anyone interested in adding additional features
to SNMP I would be more than happy to give instructions on how to compile
UCD-SNMP to include other features, or I could re-compile UCD-SNMP and put
it up somewhere for ftp, just let me know what you would like to monitor..

To see what SNMP is currently capable of returning, run "snmpwalk
m0n0wall.ip.address public" from the machine you plan on running mrtg from,
you will notice that it has some routing table information, uptime, and a
few other things..

Rob Whyte..