[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Michael Hall <mhall at riverside dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Unable to ping from WebGUI to DMZ
 Date:  Tue, 28 Oct 2003 10:16:23 -0800
On Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 10:29:38AM +0100, Manuel Kasper wrote:

> Remy Gunter said:
> > I have setup the 3rd interface as DMZ with a routed subnet. This works
> > fine. The DMZ can be reached from the internet and from the LAN. But
> > still I am unable to ping from the WebGUI to any machine in the DMZ. The
> > error is "No route to host". This is not a major issue, but also
> > syslog'ing to a box in the DMZ will not work, as m0n0wall can not find a
> > route to the machine.
>
> It's a known issue... The filter rule generator would have to add some
> rules to allow m0n0wall to ping on optional interfaces. Will be in the
> next release (needed for dhcpd too, anyway).

Cool, remote syslogging was a problem I had also, to get it working
(for now) I edited some .inc file (settings.inc?) and changed <lan>
to <opt1> so that syslogd's '-b' option used my DMZ IP (real) vs
the default LAN IP (private). When using '-b LAN' I kept getting the
'no route to host' and the packets were being blocked by the firewall.

Being new to m0n0wall I didn't know if that was a correct way to fix it
but it gave me a chance to figure out how to edit, upgrade the firmware,
etc., and to figure out a bit about how things worked. Nice package!!

--
Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad
judgement.

Mike Hall,
Unix Admin   - Rock Island Communications           <mikeh at rockisland dot com>
System Admin - riverside.org                        <mhall at riverside dot org>