[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Dinesh Nair <dinesh at alphaque dot com>
 To:  Jean Everson Martina <everson at inf dot ufsc dot br>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Full PC m0n0 - was Re: [m0n0wall] Captive with IMAP
 Date:  Sun, 17 Oct 2004 14:04:25 +0800
On 16/10/2004 20:55 Jean Everson Martina said the following:
> Yes I can write a patch to create a new framework for modules, but what
> I  want is the directions to have it commited in the project. This
> should be a very large effort, even larger than the internationalization

then why don't you start on this. as i mentioned there is a current
framework, though it is very basic. this needs to be enhanced so third
party module developers could release their modules and users could use
this framework to drop in the modules into the CF card without having to
build new images.

i'd think that something like this which works would be very welcomed into
the m0n0wall project.

> this. A way to do so is having every modules as a new MFS, that can be
> mounted in /modules directory (just an example), so people developing
> things that need binaries should have them there. The problem is about

i was thinking of something like this:

1. uploaded modules thru the webGUI are stored on the CF card (under /conf
for eg) as tar gzipped images
2. these images are untarred/uncompressed on the fly during bootup and
install themselves into the memory filesystem
3. the hooks in /etc/rc.bootup and the existing module framework could be
used to call the modules config parameters and the execute startup options.
4. a simple webGUI page for module management would be needed (add, delete,
view)