[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jean Everson Martina <everson at inf dot ufsc dot br>
 To:  Dinesh Nair <dinesh at alphaque dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Full PC m0n0 - was Re: [m0n0wall] Captive with IMAP
 Date:  Sun, 17 Oct 2004 15:24:13 -0200
> i was thinking of something like this:
>
> 1. uploaded modules thru the webGUI are stored on the CF card (under
> /conf for eg) as tar gzipped images
> 2. these images are untarred/uncompressed on the fly during bootup and
> install themselves into the memory filesystem
> 3. the hooks in /etc/rc.bootup and the existing module framework could
> be used to call the modules config parameters and the execute startup
> options.
> 4. a simple webGUI page for module management would be needed (add,
> delete, view)

this aproach has a little problem, the memory filesystem is fixed size,
so you could not have as many modules your CF could contain, the
limiting factor is the memory size. Keeping mfs large can make
m0n0(original distro) have problems with SBC systems with just 64 MB of
RAM (soekris and wrap boards).
The hooks in rc.bootup can be easily implemented assuming that
config.xml has already been parsed, so in the config.xml can be stored
information about the modules, the mounting place, etc, even the module
configuration itself.
The web gui was what I was planning too. But as I said, I will not start
until knowing the importance and the guidelines on how to do this from
the m0n0wall project leaders.

Jean