[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jim Gifford <baadpuppy at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Can't connect
 Date:  Mon, 18 Oct 2004 14:02:33 -0400
You don't say what it is working *with* just that it isn't working
with m0n0wall.  There are many systems out there which do IP
incorrectly.  I've seen windows machines figure out the correct route
even when the gateway is wrong, causing them to "mostly" work.  Some
sonicwall firewall products will permit gateways to work that are on
different physical interfaces than the clients.

How it works for you is a matter for speculation.  However, I bet if
you set your WAN on m0n0wall to a /24 netmask, it would work for you.

My guess is that the ISP has a big /24 available for their customers
(perhaps more than one) with a real /24 netmask on the network, and
they hand out different slices of the /24 (in your case, a /27 slice)
without doing real routing to enable those netmasks to work.

Mind you, that is just a guess.

Good luck,
jim