[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  Peter Parnican <peter at procad dot sk>
 Cc:  Jim Gifford <baadpuppy at gmail dot com>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Can't connect
 Date:  Mon, 18 Oct 2004 16:03:40 -0400
On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 19:16:18 +0200, Peter Parnican <peter at procad dot sk> wrote:
> OOoo my god, i found at http://www.batch.com/netmask.html how works subnet
> (nothing easy!!!!)...  I asked small question but answer is veeeery long...
>
> Now I know why should be gateway address between 213.215.114.65 and
> 213.215.114.94 but why is it working without monowall ? ...gateway is
> 213.215.114.1

I agree with Jim.

It's because Windows will work with a wrong default gateway if the
ISP's router is using proxy ARP.  Windows will just throw the packets
out there and hope they end up going somewhere, while FreeBSD
recognizes that it is invalid and refuses to use it.  Linux works the
same way as FreeBSD (though it's been a while since I've used Linux,
at least it used to be that way).  Windows doesn't care.

Windows *shouldn't* permit default gateways that aren't within the IP
subnet, but there are a lot of things it shouldn't do that it does.
MS probably permits that because many network admins don't have a clue
how to set up things properly (sounds like your ISP falls into that
category).

-Chris