[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Brian <belstsrv at nauticom dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] NICs Not Detected
 Date:  Mon, 18 Oct 2004 20:50:50 -0400
sylikc wrote:

>Brian,
>

>>I just reinstalled IPCop, just so my internet work work for now.  Here
>>is what it said for the type of NIC cards, if this helps
>>
>>Green (LAN) = Digital 21x4x Tulip
>>Orange (DMZ) = Realtek RTL-8139
>>Red (WAN) = National Semiconductor DP8381x
>>

>Well, I've had detection problems on a old PC before, and the way I
>got it fixed was to "Reset Configuration Data" option in the BIOS.
>First, try sticking in only two cards, and just start up m0n0 and see
>if it sees 2 cards (and only two cards).  If it does, then put in the
>3rd... (Try alternate slots as well)
>
>If it sees 3 but can't get a link state, or if it sees 3 where it
>should only see two, go into your BIOS and set the option closest to
>the meaning of "Reset Configuration Data" (Enabled) where it's
>disabled by default and will be disabled after the next boot.  Some
>BIOSes call this the ESCD data or something, so see if you can find
>that and see if that helps.
>
>m0n0 also has issues with ISA cards, so I hope none of those 3 above
>are ISA cards.  I've not been able to get any ISA cards working with
>m0n0.
>

>/sylikc

I will give that a try.  All of the cards are PCI also.  I will set the
PNP OS = N too, just in case since I have seen that mentioned in some
threads in the archive too.

Do you know what the best / easiest way is to load m0n0 on my IDE drive
of this PC?  I'd rather not take it out, if I can avoid it, since then I
need to open up this PC and another, but I will if that is the best way
to do it.  I tried the DamnSmallLinux method, but for some reason I
tried to cfdisk the drive and then format it, but I can never get that
to work.

Thanks again for all your help and suggestions.