[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Brian <belstsrv at nauticom dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] NICs Not Detected
 Date:  Mon, 18 Oct 2004 21:47:31 -0400
*snip*

>>Do you know what the best / easiest way is to load m0n0 on my IDE drive
>>of this PC?  I'd rather not take it out, if I can avoid it, since then I
>>need to open up this PC and another, but I will if that is the best way
>>to do it.  I tried the DamnSmallLinux method, but for some reason I
>>tried to cfdisk the drive and then format it, but I can never get that
>>to work.
>>
>>Thanks again for all your help and suggestions.
>>

>No need to use cfdisk or attempt to format the drive.  Just fetch the
>image, gunzip it, and dd it straight to the drive.  Just like the
>directions say.  :)
>
>This has worked fine for me several times without fail.
>
>good luck,
>jim

I did try that a few times, but never had success.  When you use
Smoothwall or IPCop, it breaks up the HDD in to 3 parts:

hda1 = boot
hda2 = /
hda3 = logs

When I tried to put m0n0 on to there, it was telling me it did not have
enough space.  I *think* what I needed to do was to start out with the
HDD set as one large partition and then use the gunzip menthod.  Does
having something like IPCop on there before that uses LILO do anything?
Perhaps I am overthinking this, but when I was able to get the gunzip
method to work, the PC booted and then just sat there with the HDD
clicking and putting '99' across the screen over and over....

What was your drive like prior to the install?

Thanks,
Brian