[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  WipeOut <wipe underscore out at users dot sourceforge dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  New to Traffic shaping
 Date:  Tue, 19 Oct 2004 14:45:41 +0100
Hi,

Just found and setup M0n0wall yesterday and so far I am impressed..

The whole reason for switching to M0n0wall was for traffic shaping
because I have a VoIP system running over my ADSL line and need to at
least attempt to get a good quality voice channel..

So this is where I am so far whith how I think it needs to be setup..

1. Create 2 pipes, the first for outgoing bandwidth and the second for
incoming bandwidth set to a value just below the actual available
bandwidth..
2. Create 2 queues, one for the high priority traffic (VoIP) and one for
all other traffic..
3. Create rules to put ALL traffic from my VoIP host via the high
proiority queue and everything else via the lower priority queue..

Am I on the right track here?

Questions (links to URL's with answers are fine, I did look but may have
missed it)

1. What does the mask setting on pipes and queues do?
2. What does the delay setting do on the pipes?
3. What are the recommended weight settings I should use for my two queues..
4. Anything else I need to know or watch out for?

Thanks..