[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Bagnall" <m0n0wall at minotaur dot cc>
 To:  "'Adam Wilks'" <adam dot wilks at weymouthwireless dot co dot uk>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] ADSL m0n0wall users in the UK
 Date:  Tue, 19 Oct 2004 21:27:38 +0100
> With regards to the X-Modem CE, I have just purchased one;
> expect to have it by Friday. My reason was that I need
> m0n0wall's WAN interface to have the public IP address for
> DynDns ipupdate to work properly.

Well, I can definitely confirm this works, since I'm using the m0n0 DynDns
client myself...

> I remember reading about this 'fix' a little while ago, but
> must admit that when I made the order it had completely
> slipped my mind. You mention that a couple of console
> commands need executing on m0n0 to make things work... can
> these be automated? I would really like a self sustaining system :/

Any idea where you originally saw the fix? I searched the m0n0 mailing list
at the time I bought it (a few months ago) but couldn't find anything. I
think I eventually found the suggested console commands amongst some
messages on one of the OpenBSD or FreeBSD mailing lists, together with an
explanation of why they work.

It may be possible to automate the script using the <shellcmd> XML tags in
m0n0's config.xml file, but I must admit I've not looked into this very
closely. I also don't know if this will only apply when the m0n0 is
restarted, or whether it's possible to apply this every time the IP changes.
(Anyone who's used <shellcmd> in this scenario, comments please?)

> Any ideas / thoughts appreciated. I will make sure to post
> any fixes back for the Wiki.

Does your ADSL provider offer multiple WAN IPs? It'd be great to find out
whether the X-Modem + m0n0 configuration will work in that configuration,
either using Server NAT or 1:1 mapping within m0n0.

Apart from that, good luck. It's a nice little device, bit overpriced when
compared to the Dlink DSL-300T, but it's done the job for me very well for
the last few months.

Regards,

Chris
--
C.M. Bagnall, Partner, Minotaur
Tel: (07010) 710715   Mobile: (07811) 332969   ICQ: 13350579