[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  Garrett <glc at c dash email dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Traffic shaper
 Date:  Wed, 20 Oct 2004 20:30:34 -0400
On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 15:53:39 -0700, Garrett <glc at c dash email dot com> wrote:
> Hello m0n0wall community,
>
> I'm trying to give general web browsing priority over all other traffic in hopes of maintaining
decent web surfing performance while the downstream is saturated by a large download.  I've tried to
accomplish this by giving DNS queries and replies, outbound SYNs, and inbound and outbound ACKs
priority over all other traffic.  However, there doesn't seem to be any improvement over when
traffic shaping is disabled altogether.  Here's my traffic shaper config:

> Magic shaper wizard
> ------------------------------
> not used - all fields blank
>
> Pipes
> --------
> No.: 1
> Bandwidth: 384 Kbit/s
> Delay: blank
> Mask: blank
> Desc.: downstream
>
> No.: 2
> Bandwidth: 1544 Kbit/s
> Delay: blank
> Mask: blank
> Desc.: upstream

1544 Kb upstream and 384 Kb downstream?  Sounds like you're
transposing up and down.

You'll need to drop those values.  If your connection is 1500/384,
you'll need to use something like 1400/350 because your effective
throughput isn't really 1500/384.

-Chris