[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Mitch \(WebCob\)" <mitch at webcob dot com>
 To:  "Peter Parnican" <peter at procad dot sk>, "M0n0wall" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Saving energy
 Date:  Thu, 21 Oct 2004 11:48:30 -0700
> OK, thanks for assure me.  ...anyway what is the formula in UK? (in
> Slovakia/Czech = U=voltage, I=current, cos (fi)=efficiency)
>
> ...Yes it is pretty much, but it is impossible have lower power
> consumption
> for standart (cheap) PC. I heard that some people try regulate
> the speed of
> FAN but i think this is not solution how save energy. (good fan
> use 1 - 2W)
> ...if fan isnt working temper. is higher and therefore
> consumption of CPU is
> higher... there is no saving...

Don't know about uk, but in canada (that's where I am) E= voltage ;-)

I wouldn't worry about fans, typically they draw 50 - 200 mA @ 12V - the CPU
load can cause a modern processor to range between 5 watts and 80 watts or
more though. and drive seeks etc. take current - read the specs on
processors from the manufacturers website or look at the drive spec sheet to
see the range.

I think someone was talking about enabling apm to shut down an unused
drive - not sure though.

m/