[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 To:  Peter Parnican <peter at procad dot sk>
 Cc:  M0n0wall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Saving energy
 Date:  Thu, 21 Oct 2004 21:16:37 +0200
On 21.10.2004 20:38 +0200, Peter Parnican wrote:

> OK, thanks for assure me.  ...anyway what is the formula in UK? (in
> Slovakia/Czech = U=voltage, I=current, cos (fi)=efficiency)

I thought P/U/I were pretty much international. :) How did you find
out the cos(phi) in your measurement? Also, if the PC's power supply
is old and does not have PFC, the measurement could be further skewed
by a very non-sinusoidal input current... I think the only way to get
an accurate measurement in any case is to use one of those relatively
expensive energy meters that sample voltage and current at several
kHz.

On 21.10.2004 11:48 -0700, Mitch (WebCob) wrote:

> I think someone was talking about enabling apm to shut down an
> unused drive - not sure though.

That feature is in 1.2b1 and uses plain old IDE commands. Seems to
work well for those who have tried it so far, and it's recommended
not only for saving energy, but also to increase the MTBF. ;)

- Manuel