[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Quark IT - Hilton Travis" <hilton at quarkit dot com dot au>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Saving energy
 Date:  Fri, 22 Oct 2004 07:22:29 +1000
Hi All,

Yeah - SI units, international standards and all that...

> out the cos(phi) in your measurement? Also, if the PC's power supply
> is old and does not have PFC, the measurement could be further skewed
> by a very non-sinusoidal input current...

Yes, older PSUs will result in a much higher power usage than a newer
unit that has an active PFC design.

> I think the only way to get
> an accurate measurement in any case is to use one of those relatively
> expensive energy meters that sample voltage and current at several
> kHz.
>
> On 21.10.2004 11:48 -0700, Mitch (WebCob) wrote:
>
> > I think someone was talking about enabling apm to shut down an
> > unused drive - not sure though.
>
> That feature is in 1.2b1 and uses plain old IDE commands. Seems to
> work well for those who have tried it so far, and it's recommended
> not only for saving energy, but also to increase the MTBF. ;)

I've done this in the system BIOS ever since I first looked at m0n0wall
- I shut down the drive after 2 minutes of inactivity.

--

Regards,

Hilton Travis                          Phone: +61 (0)7 3344 3889