[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Josh McAllister" <josh at bluehornet dot com>
 To:  "Mitch \(WebCob\)" <mitch at webcob dot com>, "William Marcelo Piovezan" <william at uli dot com dot br>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Souce based policy routing, (Multi-WAN failover)
 Date:  Fri, 22 Oct 2004 12:01:41 -0700
I haven't thought this out fully... it may not be applicable, but a
trick I devised in the past for providing simple redundancy (not load
balancing) with 2 T1's on a Cisco router (without requiring any support
from either T1 provider) went something like this:

1. Setup a default route with a higher metric to the gateway on the
secondary link.
2. Nat the REAL IP(s) of the primary link onto a real IP on the
secondary link for all traffic headed out the secondary link.

I tried it on a hunch and much to my own surprise, it worked. I was
essentially double NATing the internal subnet when the primary link
failed.

Obviously does no good for a connection originating from outside->in,
but it does indeed provide redundancy for outbound traffic.

Caveat: In this particular case, it only provided automatic failover if
the T1 interface LINK was actually down... no such luck for far end
failures. However, if this can be applied to M0n0 it may prove more
useful for people using ADSL/PPPoE(or PPPoA with transparent bridging)
as M0n0 DOES mark the WAN interface down when the PPPoE session is not
up.

I haven't attempted applying this concept to M0n0, but if someone wants
to play around with it... I'd be like to here of their results.

Josh McAllister