[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  monideth dot pen at unitednetworks dot co dot uk
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Persistent/Static routes
 Date:  Sun, 24 Oct 2004 12:16:14 +0100
All,

I have search the mail archives but have not got answer to this question:

Can you add in a persistent/static route?

What I mean by this is that the static route entry stays in the routing
table even the though the default gateway IP is not reachable.

What I want to do is route to a network over the VPN client IP address -
but it seems this static route can only be added in when the VPN client
has connected - i.e. their IP address appears in the routing table.
However, when the VPN client disconnects then this route entry is removed
- because the VPN IP is removed from the routing table. However, when the
VPN client connects again the static route does not appear automatically.

Does FreeBSD support permanent/persistent static routes? The man pages for
route(8) does not suggest it does.

the only other solution is to use dynamic routing and use RIP - but
m0n0wall does not support RIP!

Regards,

Mon

Note: Please take note of our new office contact numbers.

Monideth Pen

IP Product Engineering Manager

Email:          monideth dot pen at unitednetworks dot co dot uk

Mobile:         +44 (0)7801 665563

HQ                                       Switch Site

     United Networks Ltd.                     United Networks Ltd.
     Network House                            2nd Floor Challenger House
     15 High Street                           42 Adler Street
     Hampton Hill                             London E1 1EE
     Middlesex  TW12 1NB                      UK
     UK

DDI: +44 (0)20 8635 5570                 DDI: +44 (0)20 7177 6023

Tel: +44 (0)20 8635 5555                 Tel: +44 (0)20 7177 6000
Fax: +44 (0)20 8635 5550                 Fax: +44 (0)20 7177 6060

http://www.unitednetworks.co.uk          http://www.veloxnet.com

IM:             ICQ     - 53372490
                Yahoo!  - monideth at yahoo dot com
                MSN     - monideth at hotmail dot com