[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Lew Maggio" <lew at lsfc dot org>
 To:  "Ziekke" <ziekke at ziekke dot net>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] snort or IDS
 Date:  Mon, 25 Oct 2004 09:03:10 -0500
This to me makes a little more sense, because in this method the IDS
system is used to block attacks, which is nice.  I would like to do
something on my PPTP server that blocks an IP after 100 unsuccessful
login attempts.  This may occasionally block legitimate traffic but a
brute force attack will probably have 100 unsuccessful logins in less
than 10 seconds.  This is just one example of the malicious activities I
want to block.  Now a good IDS/IPS may not even block that particular
attack, but I want to block things LIKE that.  It's the stuff that you
don't anticipate that always gets you.

So I think my next move is to pick up a book on snort, there seem to be
several of them, and just make myself an expert on the subject.

It sure beats buying a $20,000 cisco IDS appliance.