[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jim Gifford <baadpuppy at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Bug? - BOOTP client works but IP does not show
 Date:  Tue, 26 Oct 2004 08:50:25 -0400
You'll need to be careful, as bootp doesn't have the concept of
leasing an IP.  It will blithely assume that the IP it gets is its for
life.

What I would do for a printer would be to assign a static address, and
put the MAC address in the dhcp server for that address.  This way you
don't get a client machine getting the printer's IP when the printer
is off some time.  Also, clients tend to like the printer IP address
not to change, and this way you would know exactly what IP it has (the
one you assigned).

I really wouldn't consider this a bug considering how isc dhcpd and
bootp interact.

jim