[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Joe Lagreca <lagreca at gmail dot com>
 To:  Monowall List <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Question about DNS forwarder...
 Date:  Tue, 26 Oct 2004 09:45:30 -0700
I have been having strange DNS problems over the last few days, and
have tracked it down to my m0n0wall and the DNS forwarder, I believe.

I'm running:
1.1
built on Sun Aug 22 11:41:15 CEST 2004
Platform generic-pc

While surfing the web from multiple machines, all kinds of websites
would fail to load, a few minutes later they would load.  My internet
connection was working fine, as all my other apps were connected and
never failed.

I figured Cox's DNS servers must be having a problem, so I went into
General Setup and configured 1 cox and 1 other DNS server, un-checking
"Allow DNS server list to be overridden by DHCP/PPP on WAN".  It didnt
seem to work, so I rebooted my m0n0.  I still had problems, so I went
into DNS forwarder section and un-checked both "Enable DNS forwarder"
and "Register DHCP leases in DNS forwarder".  Once I did that my local
machines started recieving the outside DNS servers via DHCP and
everything resumed normally again.

The problem still could have been a DNS server that was failing, but
shouldn't my m0n0 have used both the servers I put into the General
setup section?  It maybe seems as though m0n0 only uses one of those
DNS servers.  Can someone verify this?  Does the DNS forwarder only
use the first DNS server in the list?

Thanks.

Joe
Halogen8