[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  sylikc <sylikc at gmail dot com>
 To:  Fantuzzi SAS <fantuzzilorenzo at tuttopmi dot it>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Message from m0n0
 Date:  Tue, 26 Oct 2004 10:31:51 -0700
Fabio,

> I have XP SP1 as clients of my internal lan and I want to use one of these
> for Syslog, and the firewall on these PC is disable.
> I would like you confirm me that the file where I will found  the syslog
> messages of m0n0 is
> the default files of Kiwi Syslog server.

Kiwi defaults to saving logs in its installed folder.  You can
configure its extensive set of options through the GUI.

> another question,
> what's happened if the host where running Kiwi Syslog is turned off ?
> Where will go the logs of m0no ?

m0n0 logs the last x events into it's memory all the time.  It always
saves those past x ones and you can see it in the system logs page.
As for having it log to syslog, it just sends a copy of the message
via UDP to the syslog server.  Since it is a UDP datagram, m0n0wall
doesn't care nor does it make any attempt to figure out whether the
receiving host is alive or not.  If the receiving host is up, good.
If it's not, the packet just gets dropped somewhere.

/sylikc