[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  <pmok at optushome dot com dot au>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] 2 wans one m0n0wall
 Date:  Wed, 27 Oct 2004 15:49:15 +1000
Yeah, load-balancing and failover isn't possible as it
hasn't been implemented. I'm not sure it ever will be.
Its quite hard to implement with minimal issues.
Someone has to take the time to properly implement
it.

I do have two connections, but I have little experience
when it comes to developing on the FreeBSD platform.

What I did was use two M0n0Walls instead.
I have two cable connections at home, and each go
to a M0n0Wall setup, but on the LAN side of each,
they are hooked up on the same switch.

So...

M0n0Wall 1 => 192.168.0.10
M0n0Wall 2 => 192.168.0.20

Client PCs => 192.168.0.xx
Where xx = from 30 to whatever.

Depending on which ISP I want to connect
to on each client, I manually set DNS, Gateway, and
IP address.

Interestingly, I can receive emails from one ISP while
connected to the other. Say if I connect to ISP 1, I can
receive email from my email account from ISP 2, but can't
send.

I know Linux can be made to do this "Load Balancing",
but its a bit of a "hack job".

FreeBSD and OpenBSD can do it as well, but the
methods used are very primitive and only give you
basic load balancing options.

None are as featured as commercial Dual-WAN
routers.

Here's a informative thread I made on this topic
=> http://forums.techwatch.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=3626
(It covers how to do Load Balancing in Linux, FreeBSD and
OpenBSD).

Regards
-stmok