[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Seth Rothenberg" <seth at pachai dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  After go-live - routing
 Date:  Wed, 27 Oct 2004 12:51:37 -0400 (EDT)
Greetings.
I'll share some exciting news and ask for advice.

On Sunday, I swapped a soekris/Pebble AP for a soekris
running m0n0wall on my brother-in-law's roof.

My friend/customer/investor is now connected via PPTP.
Yesterday, I added an external antenna to his engenius CB3,
and he now gets 70% link quality.  I'm in business!

What I would like to do now is be able to ping
the CB3 in my customer's premises from my office,
which of course is far away in physical and Internet terms.
(eg, I could build a monitor to ping it once an hour).

I think I know what I'll need to do - and I will
get to testing - but I thought I would ask here....

I am thinking that any *IX system on the internet can be told
that my m0n0 has a route to the WLAN on the other side...
eg, I can just do
route add 10.mmm.nnn.0 [gw]  64.xx.yy.zz      (use gw if OS=Linux)

I would then need to allow ICMP traffic to route
between 64.xx.yy.zz and 10.mmm.nnn.0 -

I am not sure if I need any static routes on m0n0.
For this example, I think not - it's connected to the 10.mmm.nnn.0
network.

Thanks
Seth

PS when I get to it, I'll look at the other thread about
VPN between 2 M0n0wals...