[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Mitchel Kagawa <mitchel at unstupid dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  PPTP client and server on same subnet...
 Date:  Wed, 27 Oct 2004 08:59:50 -1000
I recently set up a  monowall firewall at my office and am trying to get
the PPTP vpn server working.  The problem I'm running into is that my
office subnet is set to the very popular 192.168.1.x.  This ofcourse is
the default setting that linksys, and may other, routers are set to.  So
when I log into the VPN from my home network (via my linksys router and
it's 192.168.1.x subnet) it doesn't work, of course. Changing my home
network to something like 192.168.0.x solved the problem for myself, but
we have many people who travel and log in via networks that they have no
control over.  So next you are going to tell me to change my office
network to something obscure like 192.168.87.x right?  Well that is
easier said than done because our office network consists of  at least
10 servers, 6 printers, 4 access points, 2 dhcp servers, 1 wireless
bridge and a partridge in a pear tree.  Reconfiguring our network would
be difficult, especially reconfiguring  each computer to recognize the
new static ip of the printers.  So my questions ars... Is there any
other way  to get this vpn to work?  Will the new software with OpenVPN
solve this?  Do I have to reconfigure my subnet?

Also one other question... when I log into the vpn from home and do an
'ipconfig -all' it lists the ip address of  the firewall/pptp server as
one of the DNS servers.  Where on the monowall can I edit the DNS
settings and push some custom entries like 'fileserver --> 192.168.1.253'.

Thanks for any help.

~MK