[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Tanuj <tanuj at ts86 dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Speedtouch comments, usb
 Date:  Wed, 27 Oct 2004 20:29:32 +0100
Chris Bagnall wrote:

> In my experience the advantages m0n0 offers over its competitors (IPCop,
> Smoothwall, etc.) are sufficiently important to me that I'll endure the

> of my clients for whom space saving is more important than things like the
> traffic shaper and VPN connectivity, I have deployed IPCop + PCI ADSL modems
> very successfully. YMMV.

I have done exactly the same at many sites (deploy IPcop) purely because
of the support for PCI and the Speedtouch USB modems.

I myself currently run a Dlink DSL-501/504 (I 'have' different sites
with ADSL). The features are not brilliant, but all I use it for is
terminating the ADSL connection and then routing. I'm lucky to have
static IP blocks everywhere so it works very well.

There are certain features, and general clean/neatness, of m0n0wall
which makes it far better than IPcop/Smoothwall/whatever. The main ones
are WiFi support (especially hostap), PPTP VPN (Windows 2K/XP clients
work out-of-the-box), Wonder Shaper that works and BSD's
clean/neat/logical NAT and firewalling. But because of the lack of
support for these cheapo ADSL devices, I can't put m0n0 boxes everywhere.

I'm very impressed anyway (only played with m0n0 a couple of days now).
Previous to this I simply built my own solutions from vanilla Linux
installs, but more and more need out-of-the-box type solutions to
basically make more money :-)

If support for these cheapo devices comes in, great, I'll donate 30% of
all revenue from my m0n0 deployments.