[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "James W. McKeand" <james at mckeand dot biz>
 To:  "'Mitchel Kagawa'" <mitchel at unstupid dot com>
 Cc:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] PPTP client and server on same subnet...
 Date:  Wed, 27 Oct 2004 16:05:36 -0400
AFAIK, all VPN solutions require different IP subnets on each end.
Sometimes the only way you can fix something is to change what you
have control over. I would suggest an even more obscure subnet in the
172.16.x.x range and pick a long weekend...

If the m0n0wall is using this LAN DNS for its DNS and DNS forwarding
is enabled, it should forward any DNS queries to the LAN DNS. This
assumes that the LAN DNS is using your ISPs supplied DNS as forwarder,
otherwise your LAN DNS will not be able to resolve anything. Think of
it this way: your PPTP client will ask the m0n0 for DNS resolution,
the m0n0 will ask your LAN DNS for resolution, your LAN DNS will ask
your ISP's DNS for resolution (if it does not already have the
answer). And they will tell two friends...

Do you have each client PC on your LAN printing directly to the 6
printers? I would share from one of your severs... Change the printers
IP and the only machine that needs to be told of the change is the one
acting as a print server.

Does the partridge or the pear tree require an IP?

Good luck and have fun.

James W. McKeand

p.s. If you are not having fun, you are not doing it right...