[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  Seth Rothenberg <seth at pachai dot net>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] After go-live - routing
 Date:  Wed, 27 Oct 2004 17:50:49 -0400
On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 12:51:37 -0400 (EDT), Seth Rothenberg
<seth at pachai dot net> wrote:

> I am thinking that any *IX system on the internet can be told
> that my m0n0 has a route to the WLAN on the other side...
> eg, I can just do
> route add 10.mmm.nnn.0 [gw]  64.xx.yy.zz      (use gw if OS=Linux)
>
> I would then need to allow ICMP traffic to route
> between 64.xx.yy.zz and 10.mmm.nnn.0 -

No because private IP's are just that, private, and non-routeable.
You could set up a VPN tunnel and ping the private IP.  Or you could
set up a firewall rule to permit your remote system to ping the WAN IP
of m0n0 (if that'd accomplish what you're wanting).

-Chris