[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Ping Kwong" <kwongp at midtown dot net>
 To:  "'Chris Buechler'" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] releasing WAN DHCP
 Date:  Wed, 27 Oct 2004 18:28:00 -0700
>Sure, reboot your m0n0wall.

Rebooting will only get the same IP address again which would be a fruitless
effort.

>I highly doubt that.  If somebody is abusing something they almost
>certainly aren't going to start blocking ports, they'll cut off the
>whole connection.

I don't know about ftp ports but I've seen with SBC where they cut off the
SMTP port probably because of some virus or trojan mailer program.  To fix
the problem with SBC just disconnect and reconnect since it is PPPoE, you're
almost certain to get a new IP address.  Outgoing mail works again after
that.  As far as Comcast goes, it keeps the same IP address if it is using
the same MAC address on a reboot.  And since they are enforcing one IP
address only, I don't think I can request a new IP address if I don't
release it first before I spoof a new MAC.