[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Jago Pearce" <jago25 underscore 98 at hotmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Speedtouch comments, usb
 Date:  Wed, 27 Oct 2004 14:01:08 +0100
I saw this (old) post regarding those cheap speedtouch modems and would like
to share my experience of them.

We've used a Speedtouch from a few months after ADSL was available in
England and now my opinion has turned round. We did have worries at first
about the thing drawing too much power off USB, but I hear it's been fixed
now.

As for the issue of latency I'm sure it should have an impact but I haven't
seen it yet, which I do find odd I must admit.

it's always going wrong. We're considering going back to the Speedtouch with
an old p90 running Smoothwall (though I would prefer m0n0).

Having said this, I don't like the way the firmware is loaded, the USB
connection, the way smoothwall hangs until a successful dial + dialing
process in general + the lack of confidence in it even though it's served me
so well. I guess having Speedtouch support in m0n0 would feel like dirtying
a piece of engineer beauty that is such a BSD based mini OS!

In summary, just don't write these modems off.

I believe USB support is still a problem (getting bigger; wireless usb,
bluetooth?). Perhaps someone could summerise the situation for anyone who
may have found this thread via google? I'm not worried about this as I like
m0n0 as it is (less hardware support is slip stream and there are
alternatives if needed), but it would be nice if a visitor to the website
could more easily answer the question "will my hardware work with this".

---
From:  Fred Wright <fw at well dot com>
Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Speedtouch ADSL modems
Date:  Thu, 10 Jul 2003 12:57:42 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003, Manuel Kasper wrote:
>On Thu, 10 Jul 2003, Frans J King wrote:
>
> > Was wondering if m0n0wall supports Speedtouch ADSL modems and if not
> > whether it was at all feasible to build PPP support plus the BSD user
> > mode drivers into m0n0wall.
>
>You mean Speedtouch USB ADSL modems, right? Well, they're not supported at
>the moment; m0n0wall wants to talk PPPoE over real hardware Ethernet

Don't you mean PPTP?  AFAIK the STs don't support PPPoE, which is too bad
since it would avoid the client/server PPTP conflict that another user is
having.  BTW, that's with an Ethernet-based ST, which works with m0n0wall.

>I don't like USB, 2. net45xxs don't have USB, 3. I don't have a SpeedTouch

I'd only use USB for networking as a last resort, if for no other reason
than the latency (though it's not *quite* so significant on a relatively
slow use like a cable or DSL modem).

-----
Thank you for your time. (Please Type "REPLY:" in subject field if you wish
to highlight your response, thx).  jago25 underscore 98 at catholic dot org is just my email
provider of choice, that's all; I agree with thier policies over email.