[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Christian =?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=FCdel?= <me at blaue0 dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Connect 2 networks over VPN
 Date:  Thu, 28 Oct 2004 15:19:22 +0200
Hello list!

Me and my friend got two private LANs with some Gentoo boxes. We'd like
to connect this two networks over a VPN connection. So that the machines
from both networks are virtually on the same subnet (10.0.0.x).

The situation is this:
LAN A (mine) connected to a 2 mbit/s cable lane
- 192.168.1.1: m0n0
- 8x gentoo boxes
LAN B (my friend's) connected to a 1,2 mbit/s adsl lane
- 192.168.1.1: gentoo router
- 4x gentoo boxes

We don't want that every request which is sent goes to the other gateway
like this is with PPTP VPN. The gateway should be on both sides
192.168.1.1.

It'd be good if the routers could make one connection to the other
router, so that not every client on both LANs needs to open a VPN
connection.

We also want to access the VPN from school. At that place there is a
firewall which blocks all traffic except TCP80/443. So we want a VPN
server listening on port 443 at LAN A, cause there is more upstream.

Now is this concept good?

Which VPN method should we use? OpenVPN or IPSec?

So long, Chris