[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "James W. McKeand" <james at mckeand dot biz>
 To:  <pmok at optushome dot com dot au>
 Cc:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] 2 wans one m0n0wall
 Date:  Wed, 27 Oct 2004 09:35:22 -0400
Your email quandary is probably because the ISPs will not let you send
email if you are not using their connection. I saw this a lot before
the ISPs I deal with started using authentication to restrict "free"
use of their SMTP servers (think open relay). Most of the ISPs I deal
with now allow you to send using a connection from another ISP, but
you may have to authenticate first...

Could you use both ISPs DNS as forwarders on your own DNS? Assign your
own DNS to your client machines. The local DNS will forward to the
first one on the list then try the next one if no response. I would
mix them up: ISP1a, ISP2a, ISP1b, ISP2b. But, there may be a delay
when one connection is down - you would be waiting for a timeout from
the first DNS.

I can see that you could assign two gateways via your own DHCP. But I
am not sure how the client machines would react to the first gateway
being non-responsive. To manually make the change you should only have
to change the gateway.

None of this would do anything for inbound traffic.

James W. McKeand