[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Brian <belstsrv at nauticom dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Troubles writing m0n0 to HDD
 Date:  Thu, 28 Oct 2004 14:39:59 -0400
Hi everyone.  I've been able to successfully get m0n0 working with the
CD/floppy method, although I do not want to leave that in place long
term.  I want to go ahead and write the image to the HDD of the PC.  I
tried the DamnSmallLinux method of installing and took the guidance of a
mailing list member who said to write the image to 'hda' and not hda1 or
hda2 (because the drive was previously partitioned by IPCop).

When I did the gunzip, I got a message saying 'x records written in' and
'x records written out' or something close to that.  From there I
rebooted, but when the machine reads the HDD, it just puts up a bunch of
colored ASCII control characters on the screen and does not boot.  I
tried BIOS settings for OS = win95, Win98/2000, and Other and none of
those helped.  I also tried LBA mode of DOS and Other and neither of
them made a difference either.  Did maybe the image just write incorrectly?

What is the easiest way to install m0n0 on a HDD?  Pull it and put it in
another PC?  Use DamnSmallLinux and put the .img on a CD and load it
from that CD on to the RAM Disk and gunzip from there?  If I end up in a
trial and error mode here I want to try to make my loading of this as
painless as possible :)

Thanks,
Brian